Please tell us about your environment where the Web Browser is running:

• Operating System:
    Windows [7|8|8.1|10]|Linux (distro and version)|OSX 10.x
    WIndows 7 -32

• Browser kind and version:
    Firefox XX | Chrome XX

Chrome 63

• Crystal Reports version:
    Crystal Reports [2016 / 14.2.x|2013 / 14.1.x|2011 / 14.0.x|2008 / 12.x.x|XI R2 / 11.5.x|XI / 11.x.x|10.x.x|9.x.x|8.5.x]

XIR2

Current behavior:

Loading larger lists of reports to process (43 reports with about 200 subreports) the loading is very slow as Chrome is expanding memory 4K at a time leading to an exponential slowdown in report loading trying to switch over to the ODBC change function.

Expected behavior:

A more linear load time and perhaps a progress bar would be nice.

Not being able to collapse is temporary (we hope) and are working on a change that we expect will allow collapsing.

.rpt Inspector Professional Suite and .rpt Inspector Enterprise Suite have a feature known as Report Playlists which allowed you to group as many reports as you wanted in each report playlist you created. Opening a report playlist would open the reports from various locations and even in the order in which you placed them.

Sounds like you would benefit from something like that in .rpt Inspector Online. Since adding / removing the same reports all the time isn’t ideal, perhaps having an ability to tag the reports that have been added and then having some sort of filter based on the tags might help.

FYI, we’ve implemented the ability to collapse. Let us know if that helps.

1 Like

Years ago I had a program that did this. The solution was to estimate the memory required at the start, then request 1 large allocation to force a single OS process expansion swap, free the memory back to the process heap, then allocate chucks as required.

We’re always looking at ways to improve performance.

However I’m not sure that there’s much we can do at this time. When you click to add a report from the .rpt Inspector Online browser screen, the .rpt Inspector Online Broker running on your computer opens each report and all of its objects and properties are retrieved and analyzed and the same happens for each of the sub-reports a report contains. The performance of opening and analyzing will vary from computer to computer. Not to have to do each time you work with reports, those objects and properties, the .rpt Inspector Online Broker during the add process sends that data to the .rpt Inspector Online cloud servers for storage. The speed at which it sends the data will also vary from computer to computer based on your internet speed.

Once you’ve loaded the reports, is there a reason why you’re removing them and loading them again?

I have some 225 reports and several with up to 40 subreports. You can’t collapse the compound reports on the main display. On Crystal I have them organized by topic folders but we lose this when loading into the tool. Scrolling was too hard (see sneaky scrollbar comment).
I’ll try using the filters to see if that helps and try tagging them as an alternate to the folders.

I looked into using tags, but this requires editing changes into the reports which I can only do on updates scheduled for production. I’m liking the playlist idea.

The tags I was referring to wouldn’t be in the reports. It would be specific to .rpt Inspector Online and would be associated to the report, but not stored in the report itself.