A life saver moment from a stackoverflow user

Although .rpt Inspector Professional Suite doesn’t run on Windows 7.x (unless using Microsoft’s XP mode, an XP virtual machine), Windows 8.x, or Windows 10 unless you run in a virtual machine (i.e. Vmware or Virtualbox) with Windows XP 32 bit or Vista 32 bit – it’s great to see that .rpt Inspector Professional Suite continues to help folks.

Note: .rpt Inspector Online is a replacement for .rpt Inspector Professional Suite and does run on Windows 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10.

Recently came across a post on stackoverflow of someone running Windows XP virtual machine via Virtualbox and .rpt Inspector Professional Suite. Here’s an excerpt:

My dad moved his office after 30 year and they need to update the address in the header of their Crystal Reports 7 (1997!) based billing system.

After buying old copies of Access 97 and Visual Studio 2003 Pro, I found out that both programs were too new - they could open the RPT files, but they saved them with an updated version that would not open in the billing system.

I ended up being able to make the changes using this life-saver program…

Originally posted: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3737169/edit-crystal-report-file-without-crystal-report-software/38810385#38810385